Is it December already we ask ourselves every year; and almost 2020 which still sounds like a futurist date some way off. But Bradford is making the most of the dark nights and Christmas spirit with lots of festive events across the city from candlelit carols and parades, brass bands, reindeer runs, Santa Steam trains and live nativities.
The Sparkling Bradford website has details of all the city’s Christmassy events including a city centre bauble trail and competitions.
Here are a few of my favourite things going on Bradford this December:
- Bradford Cathedral has already begun its Advent celebrations and has its Christingle on Saturday 14 December at 4pm, City Carol Service on Monday 16 December at 6pm and traditional candle lit carol service on Sunday 22 December. Find out more about the Cathedral’s events and services here.
• Saltaire’s Living Advent Calendar continues every day throughout December with window displays lit in homes and businesses throughout the village. Follow the link for a map to follow the trail.
• Singing and Talking in Tongues Christmas Special at the Brick Box Rooms Wednesday 4 December 7pm-10pm. They have loads of Christmassy events all this month including a Freelancers’ Party, Christmas films and a piano singalong.
• TEDWomen2019 watching party, live streamed from Palm Springs, California at the Digital Exchange from 4.30pm til late, Thursday 5 December.
• Haworth’s Christmas starts with a torchlight parade on both 7/8 December at 4.45pm along the main street, a brass band weekend on the 13/14 December and a Nativity parade on Saturday 21 December at 2pm.
• Winter Wonderland at Bolling Hall with cake stalls, tombola, crafts, face painting and you can meet Santa! Saturday 7 December 11am-3pm
• Words in the Winter – Bradford Literature Festival has organized a mini programme of events on 7/8 December at venues across the city including festive story time and craft events for kids.
- The Santa Steam Specials on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railways begin on Saturday 7 December. Take a look at the website for all their Christmas events.
• Lister Park 5km Reindeer Stampede on Sunday 8 December in aid of Epilepsy Action at 10am.
• Free coffee cupping with Casa Espresso. Bradford’s only coffee roastery has a tasting evening on Wednesday 11 December 6pm-7pm.
• Sunbridge Well’s Christmas Market on 13 and 14 December is the place to pick up some unique and handmade Christmas gifts.
• Nativity at Oastler Market with real, live animals! Saturday 14 December 11am-3pm.
• Carols by Candlelight at Harold Park, Low Moor. Carols, mince pies, sherry and hot drinks. Meet Santa! Saturday 14 December, from 4pm.
- British Bollywood Spectacular at Kala Sangam on Saturday 14 December at 7.30pm
- Christmas Bandstand at Roberts Park, Saltaire on Sunday 15 December 1pm-3pm, Christmas music and refreshments.
- It’s a Wonderful Life at the Science and Media Museum on Thursday 19 December at 11am. See their website for other Christmas films and screenings.
- Bradford Art and Bradford Words open mic night at Bread and Roses, Friday 20 December 4.30pm-10.30pm.
- Free showing of The Snowman at the pop-up cinema in Oastler Market Saturday 21 December at 11am with free hot chocolate too!
I’ll add more events as they come up – Happy Christmas one and all!