There’s definitely a lot to love in Bradford this February, make the most of that extra leap year day. Jenna Greenwood’s print seems to sum it up: Bradford Love It – Don’t Leave It. Seems appropriately pink for Valentine’s Day too.
For those in romantic mood on the 14th:
- The Light Cinema has a Valentine’s Day special showing Ghost at 5.45pm.
- Noche Latina Salsa Social at the Caroline Social Club, Saltaire from 8pm.
- Cry Cry Crying pop and northern soul night at the Brickbox Rooms from 7.30pm.
- Seductive Soul and Motown Valentine’s Ball, dinner and a dance at the Great Victoria Hotel on 15 February from 7pm.
For the rest of us, there’s plenty of other things to keep you occupied. As always in Bradford there’s the unusual (see potato day) beer and games festivals, book clubs and a pancake race – a bit of something for everyone.
- It’s the first Bradford Light Book Club on Wednesday 5 February 5.30pm-6.30pm in conjunction with the Bradford Literature Festival. The book chosen was Philip Pullman’s Northern Lights. Go along to the meet up on the 5th or join the Facebook group to follow the discussion online.
- The Yorkshire Games Festival comes to the National Science and Media Museum on 5-9 February with five days of gaming, workshops, master classes and speakers.
- The monthly Singing and Talking in Tongues spoken word night returns to the Brickbox Rooms on Ivegate on 5 February 7pm-10pm.
- Sculpture masterclasses begin at the South Square Arts Centre in Thornton on 6 February. You can either book a one-off class or as a series of lessons.
- Jean McEwan’s exhibition of photographs and prints continues at Bread + Roses Cafe on North Parade and features the launch of her new photocollage publication on Saturday 8 February 2pm-4pm.
- Annual Potato Day in Saltaire on Saturday 8 February 10am-2pm at the Exhibition Building, Shipley College. Talks on potatoes and 40 varieties of seeds to buy.
- Fused Glass Lantern Workshop at the new workshop and craft space Craft House in Bingley on 8 February 11am-1pm.
- James McAvoy as Cyrano de Bergerac broadcasting live from the West End in London to the National Science and Media Museum’s cinema as part of National Theatre Live on Thursday 20 February at 7pm.
- Join poet Sharena Lee Satti, rapper Lence and writer Steve Clarkson for a free story workshop about life in Bradford on Saturday 15 February at TIM in Centenary Square from 10am-4pm. Also on Wednesday 19 February. Open to all ages.
- Charity 1940s tea dance at the Eccleshill Mechanics Institute on Saturday 15 February 3pm-6pm.
- Poetry Open Mic Night at Kala Sangam on Thursday 20 February. Pay What You Decide, from 7.30pm.
- The Bradford Beer Festival returns to the Victoria Hall in Saltaire on Thursday 20 February to Saturday 22 February. 130+ real ales, keg and international beers, real ciders and perries. Food and entertainment too.
- A Mini Mardi Gras of five days of music, events, food and pancakes along Ivegate, Sunbridge Wells, Lefteris Café and Bradford Cathedral from Friday 21 February to Tuesday 25 February.
- Northern Soul Sunday afternoons begin at the Caroline Street Social Club in Saltaire on Sunday 23 February, 2pm-6pm.
- Annual Shrove Tuesday Pancake Lunch at Bradford Cathedral, held in the nave on Tuesday 25 February at 12.30pm and charity pancake race.
- Worth the Weight Vintage Clothing Sale at Bradford Cathedral on Saturday 29 February. Early bird admission from 11am. Pick and mix your vintage clothing – all for £15 a kilo.
- Learn more about Richard III, The Northern King at the free talk at Cliffe Castle Museum on Saturday 29 February at 1.30pm.
- Gin and Rum Express Train on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway on Saturday 29 February from 11.45am.